Stewardship HomeStewardship GroupsStewardship Projects & Accomplishments Meetings & ParticipantsContacts & Resources

Siuslaw Stewardship Watershed Restoration Program

Stewardship Fund

The Stewardship Fund offers landowners and managers a funding source to improve and restore fish and wildlife habitat. These federal funds support watershed restoration on private and other non-federal lands where there is demonstrated benefit to national forest lands and fish and wildlife habitat.  The Stewardship Fund has been in operation since 2002, see the History section at the bottom of the SSWRP homepage for more background information.

Approximately $400,000 is available on an annual basis from the Siuslaw National Forest (SNF) Stewardship Fund.  The exact amount of the Fund may vary depending on the completion of yearly stewardship timber sales. The Fund was created from retained timber receipts generated from revenue as a result of the implementation of stewardship timber sale contracts on the SNF.  Of these retained receipts approximately 60% are used for projects on the SNF.  Through the Wyden Authority, the remaining 40% of the retained receipts are used for projects on nearby (private or non-federal) lands that benefit resources within watersheds of the SNF. Funds are distributed on a shared basis among the five Stewardship Groups. Projects with at least 25% match funding or in-kind contributions are favorable, however match is not a requirement for funding.

The SNF, Cascade Pacific RC&D (CPRCD), and the Stewardship Groups guide the utilization of the Fund. Project proposals are solicited and received by CPRCD, evaluated by the SNF Technical Team, prioritized by each stewardship group, and awarded to successful applicants by CPRCD on an annual basis. Projects must promote sustainable use and enhancement of natural resources in the Siuslaw River Basin and the Alsea, Marys Peak, Hebo, Siuslaw and Smith-Umpqua River Stewardship Group areas; and natural resource management based on recent data and sound science.

Application Process

Project Eligibility and Guidelines

Projects must be located on private, state, county, city, tribal or federal land in the Siuslaw River basin and/or coastal lakes area, and the Alsea, Marys Peak, Hebo, Siuslaw and Smith-Umpqua River Stewardship Group areas and are generally limited to on-the-ground projects.

Examples of eligible projects include, but are not limited to:

  • Riparian planting, fencing, protection and release
  • Aquatic structures, in-stream structures to improve aquatic habitat
  • Culvert repair or replacement for fish passage or sediment reduction
  • Wetland restoration, tidal and freshwater
  • Noxious weeds eradication or control
  • Road drainage, road decommissioning
  • Water quality improvements
  • Storm water drainage
  • Wildlife Habitat improvements foraging/meadows improvement
  • Non-commercial stand improvement

The following activities are not eligible for funding:

  • Monitoring or Evaluation
  • Analysis and Research
  • Surveys or Inventories (except Cultural Resources)
  • Trail creation (unless it benefits the resources of the National Forest)
  • Education
  • Signs
  • Indirect Administration
  • Technical (engineering) design
  • National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Planning
Project Approval Process

Prior to project development, project applicants must consult with their Stewardship Group and the SNF Stewardship Representative (Katie Issacksen) to ensure the project meets the basic criteria as outlined above. This process occurs from November – January. Once the Stewardship Group and the SNF approve of the project idea, a Pre-Application can be submitted to CPRCD by January 31. Although this is a Pre-Application a good deal of detail is required and project must already be well thought out and ready to implement. The SNF Technical Team reviews the Pre-Applications.  Approved applicants submit a full application by the end of March. A detailed description of the process and a list of all deadlines can be found at the front of the application (see below).

Stewardship Fund Application

The FY2023 Stewardship Fund Application is currently in the review process and closed for this year. The next deadline for FY2024 is January 31, 2023. This year’s application may be viewed for reference for those interested in submitting an application next year. However all projects ideas must be presented to the SG’s and the SNF in December and January. Visit our Contact page to reach out to the Facilitators.  Fill out the Pre-Application section and email it to Connie Barnes.

Please contact Connie Barnes if you have any questions.